Fifteen years ago, we decided new jeans were just too… well, new. We wanted them to have that secondhand look, that worked in look, that these jeans have a story to tell look. So we did what any self-respecting gypsy would do: we destructed them. Take a perfectly good pair of blue jeans, grab a pair of scissors, and get ready to become a rock star.
Okay, Y’all ready? This is an easy one! You only need a few things, and you prolly have ’em already!
- A pair of jeans you love (thrift store jeans are GREAT for this!)
- A pair of scissors
- A sharpie
- A small piece of cardboard
- Step 1: Put jeans on and look in mirror. (Check you out! Lookin’ good! Okay, that’s enough.)
- Step 2: Use a sharpie to mark where your kneecaps are on both legs of jeans. Drop trou, which is to say, take jeans off. And put another pair of jeans on. Or freestyle it. A girl’s gotta do what a girls’ gotta do.
- Step 3: Ready to do some damage? Lay the jeans flat on a solid surface like the garage floor or any hard surface.
- Step 4: Slide small piece of cardboard between the leg and up to the target area of destruction.
- Step 5: With scissors flayed out, blade horizontal, scrape back and forth, cutting through the denim.
- Step 6: Keep scraping back and forth until you’ve created a large hole almost the width of the jean leg.
- Step 7: Repeat this process on a pocket or wherever you want to have additional distressing.
- Step 8: Wash and dry the jeans, pair them with your favorite tee and some well worn boots.
- Bonus Step for Overachievers: Use a seam ripper or open scissors to rip out the bottom seam for added effect.
Congratulations. You’re officially a rockstar. No Mohawk or electric guitar needed.
Okay, maybe an unplugged electric guitar DOES up the rock star street cred… but it’s not NECESSARY.
If you love this distressing DIY…. be sure to check out this video on how to cut the neck out of your t-shirt!!
And for all you pinners out there…. here ya go… we thank ya kindly!
*photo cred: April Pizana (pic of amie & jolie)