the junkers migration has begun.
and although texas antiques week typically doesn’t officially start until later this week, the truth is no one really knows when it starts and ends.
it’s a blurred line. and maybe that’s part of what is so awesome about this fleamarket. it’s old school. with no rules. and no bylaws. no unified governing body. just a bunch of folks that love junk all gathering together at the mother ship.
and since things are really so unclear and blurry and confusing…i’m here to save the day. kind of.
info you need to know for this TEXAS ANTIQUES WEEK:
- official JG world HQ days/hours – thursday, september 24-saturday, october 3. open 10am-5pm
- official JG tent at ZAPP HALL days – friday, september 25-saturday, october 3
- JUNK-O-RAMA prom thursday, october 2 @ twilight @ the GYPSY tent at zapp hall….featuring the JOHN EVANS band!!! come one! come all! no tickets required!
- RACHEL ASHWELL book signing of her newest book, THE WORLD OF SHABBY CHIC – friday, september 25, 3-5pm
- FRONT PORCH series was a HUGE hit last spring so it’s back in effect again this fall due to popular demand…we have an awesome line up of texas singer/songwriters for you so be sure to come by every day for great tunes & good times! featuring THE RANKIN TWINS, HALEY COLE, JORDAN YORK, GABE WOOTTON, JAMIE WILSON, anddddd CODY CANADA & JASON BOLAND!!!! —> plus MIRANDA LAMBERT wine! y’all come on out…pull up a rocking chair and stay awhile! it’s FREE!
- JUNK GYPSY American made chalk and clay paint will be available at the JG world HQ & at the tent at ZAPP HALL! paint demonstrations on select days!
and by the way, just in case you’re wondering…this is the way country folk move a truck that doesn’t crank…
you push it with a tractor. onto a flat bed trailer. whilst someone (adrian) sits in the drivers seat and steers the non-functioning vehicle. (and if you’re me, you take pictures and try to [not so successfully] video the whole thing…because days are anything but ordinary at the JG world HQ…and this truck just REALLY, really needed to be part of our tent decor at zapp hall.)
so heads up y’all…for those that want to run to the fields of the fleamarket, the time is ripe. and later this week…it’s on like donkey kong.
a few last minute tips.
- wear your walking shoes…(or running shoes if you’re a really over zealous shopper…some junk is worth running for)
- bring sunscreen and sunglasses and a cap…in other words, this is TEXAS. you’ll be in the sun all day…be prepared.
- have cash on-hand. lots of junkers take checks…but sometimes cash is still king
- pack a lightweight tape measure. and any measurements of specific items you are hoping to find
- you’ll be wayyyy out in the country. with a kajillion other folks, you may not have cell reception…so be prepared. and bring your smoke signals
- the best way to negotiate a good deal? ask “what’s your best price on this?” and then take it or leave it…most junkers don’t play the ‘haggle game’ and you could end up insulting him/her
- plan ahead…traffic can get realllllllllly jammed up on certain days
- if you love it, buy it. the beauty of junk is that it is often one-of-a-kind…if you pass it up, it may not be there when you go back
- old stuff is not perfect. love the imperfections
and always, always remember the reason junkin’ is the world’s greatest sport….the reason we love it so much. the reason there is something to learn around every corner…
because of the people.